The heart of Catholic worship is the Eucharist: it is the source of grace, and the summit of the Church’s action – offering bread and wine, symbols of ourselves, to be transformed into the living Body and Blood of Christ. When Eucharist is received, the person is further transformed into the hands and feet of Christ in the world. The Eucharist is an awesome mystery and privilege!
Preparation for First Eucharist and First Reconciliation
At St. Mary’s preparation for the Sacraments of the Eucharist (First Communion) and Reconciliation is family preparation, meaning children and parents attend all sessions together. Why the family involvement? The Church teaches that family is the first and most important teacher in the formation of a child. When parents present their children for Baptism, they promise “to bring [their children] up in the practice of the faith” (Rite of Baptism of Children 56).
- The registration deadline for First Eucharist and First Reconciliation is
Monday, November 13, 2017.
- Preparation for First Eucharist and First Reconciliation begins on Monday, January 29, 2018.
- The celebration of First Reconciliation is Saturday, February 10, 2018.
- The celebration of First Eucharist is April 14/15 or April 21/22 at 5 pm, 9 am or 11 am Mass.
All candidates for the celebration of First Reconciliation and First Eucharist must have at least one full year of faith formation prior to and including the year of preparation in either a Catholic school or Catholic Faith Formation program. For example, a child must have been enrolled in faith formation or a Catholic school in first grade and then continue in second grade in order to prepare for the Sacraments while in second grade.
- Complete a Sacrament Registration Form 2017-2018
- Provide newly issued Baptism certificate if the child was not baptized at St. Mary’s.
- Include a $40 program fee.
The Reconciliation Eucharist Calendar 2018 provides information on preparation class dates and Masses.